Job Title : Research Coordinator
Department : Policy, Research & Campaigns
Location : New Delhi
Level / Pay Band : A6
Contract : Term of 3 years 2020-2022 (co-terminus with Project cycle)
Reports To : Manager Research
Scope of Position
Oxfam India is committed to contributing to development debates with high quality research products. The past two years have seen the creation of a devoted in-house function aimed at producing evidence-based policy publications. Oxfam India now plans to strengthen its capacity to generate knowledge on development practices.
As Research Coordinator, you will primarily be responsible for overseeing all aspects of a three-year project on Oxfam Indias (OIN) strategy to influence development finance institutions (DFIs) to become more accountable and transparent organisations. The project fits into Oxfams broader narrative of inequality reduction and poverty mitigation and attempts to bridge issues within development finance, foreign policy and multilateral governance.
Reporting to the Research Manager, you will be skilled in multiple aspects related to managing a research and advocacy programme. This includes a capacity to design qualitative and quantitative research design and understanding methodologies for impact assessments, comprehend issues of governance, safeguards, and gender in development finance and banking, possess prior experience with regard to stakeholder management and high-level, preferably multilateral, advocacy. You will also have to be comfortable with budgetary management, fundraising, and partnership development.
Work on other research projects as assigned time to time.
- Contribute to original research on multidimensional aspects of development banking, in terms of analyzing governance policies, environmental and social safeguards frameworks, and gender, among others. Establish linkages to inequality, accountability and transparency at emerging and established development finance institutions (DFIs) operating in India such as the New Development Bank (NDB), Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), Asian Development Bank (ADB) etc.
- Monitor international debates on inequality and development finance by tracking relevant publications produced by but not limited to relevant UN agencies, World Bank, ADB, NDB, AIIB, private sector partners, civil society, academics, domestic/international media coverage and using it to build and guide Oxfam strategy and narratives.
- Map relevant stakeholders across sectors and establish strategic partnerships to drive influencing DFI policies to further Oxfams inequality narrative.
- Manage project budgets and track progress on a regular basis.
- Design and contribute fund-raising plans to ensure sustainability of programme in conjunction with the Research Manager.
- Work on other research projects as assigned from time to time
Skill and Competence
1. Masters degree in a relevant social science discipline (Economics, Political Science, International Relations etc.) with 4+ years of experience in Research and experience in managing research program would be a plus.
2. Demonstrable comfort with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and knowledge of research softwares will be an advantage;
3. Familiarity with key governance and operations policies in development banking is desirable;
4. Prior experience in undertaking or contributing to original research on multidisciplinary issues previous experience in working on issues of inequality or thematic concerns such as gender, healthcare, education and/or climate change is an added advantage;
5. Proven record of producing/contributing to high-quality publications writing and editing skills, ability to formulate rigorous academic/policy papers; powerful on-ground, human interest narratives;
6. Experience in an academic/think tank/journalism and/or analysis environment preferred;
7. Networking skills to further Oxfam Indias reach within the research and policymaking communities relevant to the scope of work;
8. Strong inter-personal skills and ability to work effectively in multi-disciplinary teams spread over different locations (particularly China, South Africa, Brazil and Russia);
9. Fluency in English (written and spoken) is essential; fair knowledge or written and spoken Hindi an advantage;
10. Commitment to Oxfams values and mission; demonstrable understanding and experience of gender and diversity issues.
During the course of employment the post holder may be required to move base on a temporary or permanent basis to any workplace controlled by Oxfam India
The candidate should be willing to travel within the region/country extensively and be deployed for extended periods in humanitarian response programmes in the field.
Desired Candidate Profile
We are an international confederation of 20 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness.
¢ Accountability Our purpose-driven, results-focused approach means we take responsibility for our actions and hold ourselves accountable. We believe that others should also be held accountable for their actions.
¢ Empowerment Our approach means that everyone involved with Oxfam, from our staff and supporters to people living in poverty, should feel they can make change happen.
¢ Inclusiveness We are open to everyone and embrace diversity. We believe everyone has a contribution to make, regardless of visible and invisible differences.
Oxfam India is an equal opportunities employer. To know more about Oxfam India please visit: www.oxfamindia.org
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.
Contact Company:Oxfam India